Buying any furniture online can be quite a significant challenge. You are putting all your trust in the website, the brand but you are completely reliant on the description of the product, the dimensions and most importantly the photos. In some cases you might even have reviews from customers who have already purchased that piece of furniture, luckily enough this is coming more and more common.
If you are shopping online and ready to purchase, there is a very good chance that you won’t get to see the furniture in the flesh before it arrives on your doorstep. If you are planning on spending lots of money on this item then it really can be a tough decision.
Fortunately, these days, many suppliers and brands who have an online presence understand these difficulties that online shoppers have and provide full money back guarantees, warranties and returns policies to give shoppers peace of mind. So if that piece of furniture you purchased online doesn’t quite look like it did in the pictures or doesn’t fit properly into your living space then you can easily get you money back with no hassles.
We all know that one of the main benefits of buying furniture online is low prices and big discounts. But there are additional benefits worth considering before buying. Having the furniture delivered to your house directly can save a lot of time and hassle compared to having to pick this up from the high street, especially if you don’t have a car. If you live in a flat then you also get the added benefit of the delivery man lugging your new sofa up those three flights of stairs and you don’t even have to get your hands dirty, what a result!
The team here at Nick have put together some tips for you to consider when buying furniture online. So when you are ready to take the plunge its worth taking these pointers into consideration.
- Pre-order a fabric swatch. If you are thinking of buying a new sofa or chair you should order a few fabric swatches based on what you think you might like. You won’t be charged for these and they will be posted to you free of charge. A fabric swatch will really help you with the decision making process, allowing you to have confidence that you get the right product.
- Use reviews where possible to help inform your decision. In this day and age search engines offer us a huge amount of valuable information at the click of a button. Once you have chosen your product, do a couple of searches in Google like- “john lewis blue sofa review” and see what people are saying about the product. You will quickly get an idea if the product is right for you based on this feedback.
- If possible try and get to the shop to see the product in the flesh, this is a really good idea if the furniture you are thinking about is really expensive. You will be able to check that the colour, the quality and the finish of the product are right for you before heading home to buy online. If you are very lucky you might even find a discount online too which justifies your decisions to purchase online- another added benefit.
- Once you have identified a few different bits of furniture that you are interested in purchasing, sign up to the email newsletters that the retailers offer. You will then be able to keep-up-to-date with any offers, discounts or sales that the retailers might offer. You never know there is a good chance that the product you are keeping an eye on might be discounted at some stage so it pays to keep your eyes open
- These days, so many of us are used to putting together flat packed furniture. There is probably a good proportion of us out there who have some form of Ikea furniture in our homes right now. When purchasing furniture online, it’s worth checking out the assembly instructions. If it’s a really complicated job you might need to call on the services of a friend to help you put the product together.